1. Wear tights Saturday
2. Get extra bike tube
4. Via for caffeine punch
Calorie math –> need 400 calories/hour
3 scoops Perpetuem = 405 calories
1 Clif Bar = 250 calories
6.5 hours x 400 calories = 2400 calories = 13 scoops Perpetuem
1 Clif Bar per hour = 6 Clif Bars. Equals 1/2 Clif bar every 10 miles
1/2 PBJ at Turnaround, 1/2 PBJ at mile 100
Run: 2 bottles x 3 scoops each – Finish 1 bottle per leg (6 miles)
1/4 Clif Bar every 2 miles
Bike Special needs-
Perpetuem Mix in bottle
2 Clif bars
Lena on person at all times:
* Electrolyte pills
* Clif Bar
* Water bottle – full
* Perpetuem in bottle
* Extra Garmin
* Time of day watch
* Make PBJ for race day
* Have Nurtition laid out on counter
4:00 – Wake up
bagel & light PB/Jelly, Yogurt & granola with honey & BB
4:15 – Hot shower – stretch
4:30 – Nutrition bottles
4:45 – Leave house
5:00 – Drop special needs bags
5:05 – Get marked. Then sunscreen & vaseline
5:10 – Check bike in transition. Pump tires
Put on Garmin
Fill nutrition bottles
Fill Water bottle
5:20 – Check transition bags
5:45 – Begin stretching on grassy area
6:10 – Relax, last stretch
6:15 – Begin donning wetsuit on grassy area behind start.
6:25 – Go to Chair 4 to timing chip with Clif bar and water bottle
6:30 – Move to inside left position.
Get in water, face wet, a few strokes to warm up. Breathe.
Let suit fill with water.
Check goggles for fog and fit.
Eat half Clif Bar and sip on water.
7:00 – Boom. Relief. I get to race!
* Slow and steady to warm up
* Let aggressive swimmers ahead then draft.
* Swim confidently and strongly.
* Breathe and relax.
* Smile – you're going to be a 2-time Ironman
* Be happy you're not a meathead or freak climbing over people
* Check the clock at the turn but do not push any harder than you are. Gaining 5 minutes on the swim will cost me 20 minutes on the bike.
SWIM TO BIKE TRANSITION
* Find Strippers, get on ground, relax
* Call out number
* Grab bag and go to far end of tent where there is probably more room
* Run through gate, hug left-hand barrier fence all the way around to my row near the red TIMEX tent
* Grab towel to dry torso
* More EZBalls. Wipe hands
* Glasses, gloves, arm-warmers in helmet
* Jersey with 2 clif bars, extra Perpetuem, and 2* (1/2) PBJ wrapped in celephane in pockets
* Chomp Clif Bar, put rest in Jersey pocket
* Swig Bottle with Perpetuem mix
* Electrolyte pills
* Trust your training
* Get heartrate down to 120-125 range. Spin up the hills with controlled intensity
* Drink, drink, drink water
* 1/4 Clif Bar every 15 mins, wash down with water
* Swig of Perpetuem in every 15 minutes off center with Clif Bar
* 2 Electrolytes every 45 mins (bring 15 for ride)
* Check clock at the 1/2 mark. See how you feel. Can you do an even split? How about a negative split? What will either cost you on the run. Be patient – I'm going to be faster than last year. Don't think you're going to Kona. Stayed focused on the goal.
* Grab Garmin
* Call number & grab bag. Loosen Helmet strap on way
* Helmet off – Gloves off, armwarmers off, jersey off –> place in helmet
* Shoes off, place next to helmet
* Running shoes on
* Running Belts on – two full bottles of Perpetuem with 3 scoops each
* Short strides, keep it light. Slow to 8:30 pace within 2 miles
* Break run into 4 legs.
* Swig of Mix every mile
* Water at every aid station
* 2 Electrolyte pills every 30 (min)-45 (max) minutes depending of how I feel.
* Check pace. Fall back to 8:45 if struggling at 8:30. First 13 miles should feel like a jog
* Maintain 8:45 for Legs 2 & 3. Drop to 9:00 if struggling
* For last leg, be strong and smart and strong. Maintain 9:-9:15 pace – you can do this b/c you're fitter, stronger, lighter, with better nutrition
* Focus on the perfect stride.
* Smile – you're almost there.